Holiday and Birthday Assistance Application
No matter what age, we all like to celebrate and feel special during the holidays and on our birthday. Whether it is Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanza, or a birthday – no one should ever feel alone and not have a gift or card to open.
As adults with PWS are aging, many of them are outliving their parents and/or family members. Some have no close friends to provide them with a gift or card on these special occasions. There are fewer resources for care providers to provide gifts and/or funds for special celebrations. Programs and resources such as Toys for Tots, faith-based organizations, churches and holiday giving trees often provide assistance for children and families. There are few if any to assist aging adults with PWS who may be left alone.
PWSA of WI, Inc has created a program to reach out to adults with PWS who are 18 years or older who no longer have family to help them celebrate holiday or birthday events. The “Holiday-Birthday Special Assistance Program” is a new program that attempts to make all adults with PWS feel special and be able to continue to have special memories and gifts – no matter what their age. Who Can Participate?
• Any adult with PWS 18 years or older who no longer has family members or friends who can provide them with a present, card or some sort of gift for a holiday or birthday celebration.
• The adult with PWS must reside in the State of Wisconsin.
• If children with PWS 17 years and younger need assistance, a family member or responsible adult should contact PWSA of WI, Inc to check on assistance through our General Assistance Fund. How Many Times Can One Person Participate in One Year?
• An adult with PWS can participate 2 times in one year for this program – one holiday and one birthday request per year.
What Needs to be Done to Participate?
• A responsible adult – case manager, home manager … can request, complete and submit an application.
• The adult with PWS cannot complete the application but can assist a responsible adult in doing so.
• ONE application should be submitted for each holiday or birthday request unless the holiday and birthday fall on the same date.
• The responsible adult will be informed within 10 days of PWSA of WI, Inc staff receiving the application.
The application will be reviewed by a committee comprised of at least 1 staff member and 2-3 board members. What Sort of Gifts Can a Person Receive? How Does this Work?
• The responsible adult will be sent a gift card which can either be used to purchase gift items or be given as the gift itself.
• A $50 gift card will be awarded as a holiday gift.
• A $25 gift card will be awarded as a birthday gift. What Needs to Be Done After Receiving the Gift?
• A thank you note should be sent to PWSA of WI, Inc acknowledging the receipt of the gift(s) within 30 days of the holiday or birthday. If this does not take place, no further assistance will be provided.
PWSA of WI, Inc wants assurance that the adult with PWS has received the gift card or gifts. (Photos would be wonderful).
This application is for ONE
holiday or birthday request.