Multiple scholarships are available – they are listed below:
PWSA of WI, Inc. strives to assist in improving the quality of life for a child or adult with Prader-Willi syndrome. We have established the General Assistance fund to provide financial assistance to help meet the unique needs of these individuals and their families.
Purpose: PWSA of WI, Inc. strives to assist in improving the quality of life for a child or adult with Prader-Willi syndrome (PWS). This fund provides financial assistance to help meet the unique needs of these individuals and their families.
Who is Eligible to apply?
Eligibility is based on financial need of the person with PWS. Financial need being equal, the second consideration would be given to those who could benefit most from the use of these funds.
- Any person with PWS who resides in the State of WI.
- The person with PWS or the caregiver or a family member of the person with PWS must be a member of the state chapter of the PWSA of WI, Inc.
What can the funds be used for?
The funds can be used to purchase exercise equipment; camp scholarship; provide transportation for medical treatment; further the education of parents by assisting with expenses of going to the National PWSA (USA) annual conference or other workshop or training; assist in modifications of the living environment to increase the safety for a person with PWS; supplemental respite care, etc.
Method of Applying
Complete and submit an application form to the State Office of PWSA of WI, Inc. along with any additional information, which might be helpful. An application form is available in the Wisconsin Connection, the newsletter of PWSA of WI, Inc. , on the PWSA of WI, Inc. web site or by calling or writing PWSA of WI, Inc. State Office. New applications should be submitted annually. Applicants may only receive assistance through this fund one time per year.
Method of Selection
Applications will be reviewed and selected by a committee consisting of the accountant, treasurer, President, Vice President and Program Director.
As mentioned above,
- The first criteria for selection will be financial need.
- The second criteria for selection will be the person who can benefit most from the funds.
- Only 1 request will be granted each year to one person/family unless an emergent urgent situation exists.
- Consideration will be made for new applicants. Previous recipients will also be considered.
Information Needed for Application for funds
Please refer to General Assistance application attached.
Names of applicants and recipients of funds will be kept confidential, except from the Officers and Board of Directors of PWSA of WI, Inc.
No matter what age, we all like to celebrate and feel special during the holidays and on our birthday. Whether it is Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanza, or a birthday – no one should ever feel alone and not have a gift or card to open.
As adults with PWS are aging, many of them are outliving their parents and/or family members. Some have no close friends to provide them with a gift or card on these special occasions. There are fewer resources for care providers to provide gifts and/or funds for special celebrations. Programs and resources such as Toys for Tots, faith-based organizations, churches and holiday giving trees often provide assistance for children and families. There are few if any to assist aging adults with PWS who may be left alone.
PWSA of WI, Inc has created a program to reach out to adults with PWS who are 18 years or older who no longer have family to help them celebrate holiday or birthday events. The “Holiday-Birthday Special Assistance Program” is a new program that attempts to make all adults with PWS feel special and be able to continue to have special memories and gifts – no matter what their age.
Who Can Participate?
- Any adult with PWS 18 years or older who no longer has family members or friends who can provide them with a present, card or some sort of gift for a holiday or birthday celebration.
- The adult with PWS must reside in the State of Wisconsin.
- If children with PWS 17 years and younger need assistance, a family member or responsible adult should contact PWSA of WI, Inc to check on assistance through our General Assistance Fund.
How Many Times Can One Person Participate in One Year?
- An adult with PWS can participate 2 times in one year for this program – one holiday and one birthday request per year.
What Needs to be Done to Participate?
- A responsible adult – case manager, home manager … can request, complete and submit an application.
- The adult with PWS cannot complete the application but can assist a responsible adult in doing so.
- ONE application should be submitted for each holiday or birthday request unless the holiday and birthday fall on the same date.
- The responsible adult will be informed within 10 days of PWSA of WI, Inc staff receiving the application.
The application will be reviewed by a committee comprised of at least 1 staff member and 2-3 board members.
What Sort of Gifts Can a Person Receive? How Does this Work?
- The responsible adult will be sent a gift card which can either be used to purchase gift items or be given as the gift itself.
- A $50 gift card will be awarded as a holiday gift.
- A $25 gift card will be awarded as a birthday gift.
What Needs to Be Done After Receiving the Gift?
- A thank you note should be sent to PWSA of WI, Inc acknowledging the receipt of the gift(s) within 30 days of the holiday or birthday. If this does not take place, no further assistance will be provided.
PWSA of WI, Inc wants assurance that the adult with PWS has received the gift card or gifts. (Photos would be wonderful).
This application is for ONE holiday or birthday request.